Chili with a TwistMakes 6 Servings
Cocoa in chili: you must be kidding! No kidding - try this and you'll never go back to your old chili ever again.
4 hot or sweet Italian sausages
1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
2 tbsp olive oil
3 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, mashed
3 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped, or 2 tbsp pickled jalapenos, drained and chopped
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp ground cumin
4 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 (28 oz) can tomatoes, mashed with juice
1/2 cup salsa
2 tbsp cocoa
1 (28 oz) can red kidney beans, drained
- Slice sausages into about 6 pieces each, place in 6-quart stockpot or Dutch oven and sauté until well browned. Remove to a mixing bowl.
- Add ground beef to pot and brown. Remove to mixing bowl.
- Drain fat from pot and add olive oil. Add onions and cook over medium-low heat until they are translucent. Add garlic and cook another minute or two, or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Return sausage and ground meat to pot. Add jalapenos, salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, salsa and cocoa. Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Add kidney beans, cover again and cook 30 minutes.